Included here are the known issues we have faced with some specific online brokers, as well as with all brokers as a whole. Our team is always in the process of improving the synchronizing feature and adding more brokers to our list.
Known issues with all Brokers
When you initially synchronize your broker account, we try to gather as much information as possible, so we can accurately track these positions in TradeStops.
We do, however, have some brokers that do not provide us some of this data. The reasons include:
- All of the information is not located on the same page within your broker account.
- The position was purchased more than 30 days ago.
- Data is returned in a format that is challenging for our program to read.
Entry Date, especially for positions purchased more than 30 days ago, may not transfer on the initial import of your account. You will need to add this information manually.
- Newly purchased positions, imported during our daily updates, should pull over the entry date successfully, but this is not always the case.
Options data such as expiration month, strike price, and call/put status can sometimes be missing for synchronized options from certain brokers. This data is required to display your option symbol correctly. If we do not acquire this information, your option will initially appear with just the underlying symbol in the symbol field.
- By clicking the symbol, or the “enter data” links, you will be able to manually enter missing data to save your full option symbol correctly. Please review the steps in the article Known Broker Issues.
Almost all columns are customizable at brokerages. If you choose to exclude some columns, it may cause us data issues. Please include the columns below at your brokerage.
For Stocks and US Mutual Funds:
- Symbol, Quantity, Value, Description, Price, and Cost Basis
- Symbol, Quantity, Strike Price, Expiration Date, Option Type, Value, Description, and Cost Basis
Security Token using a One Time Password
Some Brokers offer an additional layer of security using a one-time password or dynamic security code in addition to your username and password. This may be a cell phone app or a portable device with a code that will update regularly every 30 seconds or so.
Common brokers that may offer this feature include Fidelity, Charles Schwab, Vanguard, and Wells Fargo, but many brokers will have this feature as an optional security method.
At this time, our broker synchronization feature does support these devices in beta testing format.
If you would like to use the synchronization feature with a security token, you will need to enter the token data when you sync with us. If you have questions, please contact us at [email protected]
At this time, we are offering limited synchronization with Interactive Brokers by special request only. If you would like to have your Interactive Brokers account imported, please send us an email at [email protected]
Because of Interactive Broker’s complex security set up, there are a few things to consider before you decide to import your account:
- We support 2 of Interactive Broker’s security measures.
- The security method called “Security Code Card” (or CAPTCHA) – where you will see a fuzzy picture of 2 numbers that correspond to 3 digit codes on a card you possess.
- The security method called “IB Key” – where you use your IBKR account via the mobile app.
- The daily refresh of this broker is not automatic, so you will need to update credentials each time you’d like to refresh your data. This is done by clicking the pencil icon from your Portfolios tab, then on ‘update credentials’.
- The process of updating credentials has been showing some “time-out” issues for many customers, due to latency that our data provider has experienced on the broker site. You may have to update credentials several times to get it to update successfully.
If you continue to have trouble with the update process for Interactive Brokers, please send us an email at [email protected]
From time to time while you are conducting your online or mobile banking, Wells Fargo will determine that a particular transaction, a change to an account, or access to certain sensitive information will require a special access code before the action is allowed.
- You’ll be able to select which phone(s) will receive the code, and whether you’d like a text message or a phone call.
- You will then be prompted to click a button to request an access code from Wells Fargo.
- You will then receive your access code as an SMS text message or via a phone call on your phone(s). You then enter and submit the code where indicated.
How to access Wells Fargo Multifactor Authorization screen:
- Log on to your Wells Fargo account.
- Go to account services.
- Select the “manage advanced access” link.
On February 26 Scottrade was merged into TD Ameritrade. On Friday February 23rd Scottrade portfolios were converted to manual portfolios in TradeStops. In order to have your portfolios synchronized once again you will need to import them from TD Ameritrade. You will be able to import your new Ameritrade accounts starting on Monday, February 26, 2018.
To prevent duplicating your positions and alerts, any remaining open positions you held in your Scottrade Portfolio(s) can be manually deleted once you have imported your new accounts from Ameritrade.
TD Ameritrade and ThinkOrSwim
If you have only one account (portfolio) with ThinkOrSwim, please synchronize with ThinkOrSwim.
If you have more than one account (portfolio) with ThinkOrSwim, please synchronize with TD Ameritade.
If you only want to sync with ThinkOrSwim, please create different credentials for each account (portfolio). You will then import each portfolio individually with the unique credentials.
TD Waterhouse Canada (AKA TD Direct Investing Canada)
When you synchronize with TD Waterhouse Canada, some Canadian positions may come through as American positions. If this is the case, please contact our customer success team. They will be able to edit the position for you.
Also, please keep in mind that we do not support EasyWeb for TD Waterhouse Canada. We do support WebBroker. To determine which you use, please see the photo below. WebBroker is highlighted.
Merrill Edge/Merrill Lynch
Our data provider is unable to obtain the Cost Basis from the Merrill Edge/Merrill Lynch brokerage platform, so we are not able to show your entry prices or entry dates for synchronized positions from this broker. These can be manually entered.
Because we do not receive the transaction history, your positions will be red flagged when you close them at your brokerage. You will have to manually close these positions.
Our data provider is unable to obtain some of your options data from Questrade, as their broker platform in many cases does not display complete options data. You may find that your option expiration date, strike price and option type (call or put) is not brought over during synchronization. These fields can be added manually by following the steps in our “How to manage synchronized options” article.
Capital One Investing
On November 5th, 2018 Capital One merged into E*Trade. On November 19, 2018 Capital One portfolios were converted to manual portfolios in TradeStops. In order to have your portfolios synchronized once again, you will need to import them using our E*Trade link.
To prevent duplicating your positions and alerts, any remaining open positions held in your Capital One Portfolio(s) can be manually deleted once you have imported your new accounts from E*Trade.
This brokerage employs a token feature for its users. Due to this token, we will often see time out errors when it comes to synchronization.
If you receive a time out error message, please just try entering your credentials again.
If the error does not resolve itself, please contact our customer success team.
Our data provider does not offer synchronization with Ally Invest. We are looking into alternative ways of synchronizing with this broker, so we may offer them in the future.
If you don’t see your broker on this list and are experiencing a problem with synchronizing some or all of your data, please get in touch with our customer success team.
- What is a Portfolio in TradeStops?
- Adding Portfolios
- Broker Synchronization
- How do we synchronize your portfolio?
- How to Add Missing Data & Alerts
- How to Create Portfolios – Synchronized
- Importing Missing Portfolios
- Known Broker Issues
- New Synchronized Positions
- Position was not detected at brokerage
- Restoring Deleted Synchronized Positions
- Synced Portfolio Troubleshooting
- Synchronization – MFA
- Synchronizing with Online Brokers
- Updating Broker Credentials
- Editing and Deleting