Adding Positions – Advanced Mode
Getting Started with Advanced Mode:
- Go to the Positions and Alerts Page.
- Click Add Position.
- Switch over to Advanced Mode (1).
Working with Advanced Mode
- Select the portfolio (1) where you want to add the position.
- Select Stock or Option(2).
- Enter the symbol (3). The company name will automatically fill below it (4).
- Type an Entry Date (5) and Price (6).
- Enter the number of shares purchased (7).
- A history of all corporate actions will be displayed since your entry date for review.
- Enter an Entry commission (8) if applicable.
- Select “Yes” to adjust alerts by dividends and spin-offs (9) or “No” for no adjustments.
- Select if the position is Long or Short (10).
NOTE: A short position is one in which the stock is sold first in the hope that it can be bought back later for a lesser price. “Short sellers” hope to profit by a fall in the price of the stock. Covered calls and Naked Puts are examples of short options.
- Select if the position is open or closed (sold) (11). You can back-populate your TradeStops account for positions you already sold if you would like to keep records.
- If you like, enter any tags (12) and/or notes (13) for the position.
NOTE: “Tags” are keywords to help you organize your stocks, i.e. gold or silver. “Notes” are for your own personal use.
- Click “Clear” to reset and start again, “Save and Add More” to keep adding positions, or “Save and Close” to finish adding positions (14).
IMPORTANT: Entering a position in Advanced Mode does not set an alert on the position.