Getting Started with Advanced Mode:
- Click on the Positions & Alerts tab (1) in the main menu at the top of the page.
- Click the Positions tab (2).
- Click the Add Position button (3), and the following Add Position window (Simple Mode) will display:
- Click the link at the top of the simple mode window (1) to switch to Advanced Mode, and the Add Position page will display as follows:
Working with Advanced Mode
- Select the portfolio (1) where you want to add the position.
- Select Stock or Option(2).
- Enter the symbol (3). The company name will automatically fill below it (4).
TIP: If a symbol is not in TradeStops’ database, you can request it to be added. Email a request to [email protected] with the symbol, company name, and the exchange. A request does not guarantee a symbol will be added.
- Enter the number of shares purchased (7).
- A history of all corporate actions will be displayed since your entry date for review.
- Enter an Entry commission (8) if applicable.
- Select “Yes” to adjust alerts by dividends and spin-offs (9)or “No” for no adjustments. To review how TradeStops adjusts for dividends, please review the article “Adjusting for Dividends.”
- Select if the position is Long or Short (10).
NOTE: A short position is one in which the stock is sold first in the hope that it can be bought back later for a lesser price. “Short sellers” hope to profit by a fall in the price of the stock. Covered calls and Naked Puts are examples of short options.
- Select if the position is open or closed (sold) (11). You can back-populate your TradeStops account for positions you already sold if you would like to keep records.
NOTE: Closed positions can be viewed on the Closed Positions page.
- If you like, enter any tags (12) and/or notes (13) for the position.
NOTE: “Tags” are keywords to help you organize your stocks, i.e. gold or silver. “Notes” are for your own personal use.
- Click “Clear” to reset and start again, “Save and Add More” to keep adding positions, or “Save and Close” to finish adding positions (14).
IMPORTANT: Entering a position in Advanced Mode does not set an alert on the position. After clicking the Save button, you will be taken to the Position Card. On this page, you can add the necessary alerts by clicking the Add Alert button in the Current Alerts section at the bottom of the page. See the article “Accessing all Alert Types.”