Keeping your investment portfolio in sync with your brokerage account can help to ensure that you always receive timely alerts on all your positions. In today’s email we show you how to keep your portfolio in sync.
Over the past two weeks, we taught you how to upload your portfolio with a CSV file and how to manually input your portfolio. Both methods put you in complete control of entering each of your positions.
This can take time, though, if you hold numerous stocks and options. If you do not want to upload your file or manually enter each position, there is a solution. You can synchronize your data directly from your brokerage.
Sync Your Portfolio
To begin the synchronization process, there are a few steps to follow.
- Go to the Portfolios tab in TradeStops
- Click on the green Add Portfolio button in the upper left hand corner
- In the box that pops up, click on your brokerage’s name or search for it
In the next pop up box, you will enter your brokerage credentials exactly as you would if you were logging into your brokerage firm. Our synchronization process uses bank-level encryption. At no time is anyone at TradeStops able to see your brokerage credentials, and none of this information is stored on our servers. You can feel secure in entering your brokerage credentials.
You can click the “Show my password” box to ensure that you entered the password correctly. If everything looks correct to you, click “Login.”
If you have security questions, a token, or any additional security features at your brokerage, you might be prompted to enter that information. It is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the security method you use so that the information you enter is accurate. This will avoid any errors during the initial import process. You will receive a success message once your portfolio has been synced.
Monitor Your Synced Portfolio
Once you have successfully imported your portfolio, it is very important to keep your portfolios up to date. This will ensure that your newly purchased positions will appear and your sold positions will close. You can check on the status of your synced portfolio from the Portfolios tab.
If your portfolio is highlighted in pink, there will be a yellow Resolve button to the right of your portfolio name. Simply click on that yellow button, and enter your brokerage credentials in the pop up box. Don’t use anything that is already typed in for you.
You can check your sync date by looking at the Sync Date column. This column, and the data it provides, is to the right of your portfolio name. If you see that the date is not today or yesterday’s date, an error has occurred with your portfolio. You will need to update your credentials.
To Update your Credentials:
- Go to the Portfolios tab in TradeStops
- Click on the Pencil to the left of your portfolio name
- Click Update Credentials that shows up in the pop up box
- Hand-type in your credentials. Do not use anything that is typed in the box for you!
- Click Update
Errors can occur with this process. If an error occurs, we will provide you with an error code. Please take note of the error code. This is critical if you want to resolve the problem. There are some error codes that you can fix, and some error codes will go away on their own.
- 403, 409, 412, and 413: These errors will normally go away on their own. If these errors continue for more than 3 days, please contact us.
- 402: This means your username or password was entered incorrectly. Please try again. Make sure to use your brokerage credentials-not your TradeStops credentials!
- 428 & 429: This means that you must log into your brokerage firm and update something. This could be accepting new terms & conditions or updating your personal information.
- 518 & 522: This means that your extra security wasn’t entered in time. This could be your security questions & answers or your token.
If you see any other error codes, write down the number and the message that you receive. You can then contact us to have our customer service agents assist you. Having that number ready will give them the ability to check on and fix your account even faster.
Three Methods and One Solution
At TradeStops, our goal is to make investing easy, so you can make more while risking less. Our three methods for inputting your portfolios helps you do just that. Our CSV feature lets you upload your portfolio in 5 easy steps. Our manual feature lets you customize your portfolio. Our synced feature lets you directly download your portfolio. Whichever method you choose, we hope that you continue to see success using our program.
To Your Continued Portfolio Success,
Customer Success Team